Sunday, March 4, 2012

EDLD 5364 Week 1 Reflection

As I learn more about the learning theories, Constructivism and Connectivism, this week I realized that I am a Connectivist. I believe we learn better if we can connect the new information to other aspects of our life. For instance, when teaching the Declaration of Independence for the first time I compare it to going home and telling your mother that you are no longer a part of the family. Most students agree that that proclamation would be met with, ”Over your dead body!” through their mother’s clenched teeth. Unfortunately, Constructivism isn’t always successful because each student brings with him a different level of prior knowledge upon which to build. Economically disadvantaged students seem to be the most negatively impacted.

I won’t even address the Cyborg theory because it so completely freaked me out! I’m pretty sure that was a story line on Star Trek: The Next Generation and it did not end well for mankind.

No comments:

Post a Comment