Wednesday, January 25, 2012

EDLD 5366 Week 1 Assignment 1.2

When I first opened the Bible from Ethiopia, I wasn’t impressed. The first page is filled with row after row of neatly ALIGNED characters, characters that I presume form words. Of course they are words that mean nothing to me, as they are in a foreign language. I thought, “This is bound to be a boring endeavor.” However, as I turned the first page, and next, and the next, I was in awe. The CONTRAST of the bright colors that were used drew me into the pages. In all honesty, I wish I hadn’t looked through the book a second time. I remembered the colors as being more vibrant when I saw them the first time. The REPITITION of the arch and birds continuing across the top of each page made me want to look farther. I don’t think I really clued into the title of the book, the Bible from Ethiopia, until I suddenly became aware that I was following a story that I knew, and new well! The PROXIMITY of the drawings to one another helped the storyline progress naturally and left me wanting more. I was disappointed when the story ended after only 32 pages! The one thing that I noticed more than anything else in the layout of this book was the eyes. The eyes of each character were positioned so that the reader never had to wonder who or what the author felt was the most important thing on that page. As I flipped back through one last time, the eyes made the people take on personality and the story come to life.

No comments:

Post a Comment